December 11 ,2019 |
Transdermal patches are a unique and easy way to enjoy the benefits of CBD. They are helpful for dealing with anxiety, pain, and inflammation throughout the body because they allow CBD to enter directly into your bloodstream. But the biggest benefit of using a transdermal patch is that it is safe, discreet, and convenient—no edibles, smoking, vaping, or midday dosing required.
What are transdermal patches and how do they work?
As early as Ancient Egyptian times, humans have been putting herbs and natural ingredients on their skin for medical benefits. The first true transdermal patch was approved by the FDA in 1979 for alleviating motion sickness. Since then, transdermal patches have been used to administer contraceptives, nicotine, vitamin B12 and many other medications. How transdermal patches work is by releasing small amounts of medical compounds into the bloodstream over an extended period of time.
CBD transdermal patches contain a dose of Cannabidiol (CBD) that is encouraged to travel out of the patch and towards your body heat. The name “transdermal” means that these compounds travel across or through the skin barrier in order to enter the body.
When CBD molecules move from the patch and into your skin, they must pass through three layers before reaching the bloodstream. First, there is the stratum corneum, or the outer layer of dead, flattened skin cells that helps prevent toxins and bacteria from getting inside the body. Then the molecules must travel through the epidermis, which is about 10 times thicker than the stratum corneum. The epidermis as well as the third layer, the dermis, are both made up of living, hydrated cells, which means that it is easier for CBD molecules to pass between them and into your blood.
Why are CBD transdermal patches effective for anxiety, pain, and inflammation?
Once they reach the dermis, CBD molecules are able to enter the circulatory system through small blood vessels located in that layer. From there, CBD molecules are then distributed throughout the body where they interact with Endocannabinoid System (ECS) receptors located on nerve cells, immune cells, soft tissue cells, skin cells, and more.
Transdermal patches are ideal for consuming CBD because they allow the molecule to go directly to the blood and ECS without being processed by any other systems first. When you ingest or smoke CBD, it must first travel through the stomach and liver or the lungs before it can reach the bloodstream and begin to have an affect on your body. This means that transdermal patches are great for people who do not want to risk the adverse effects of smoking, vaping, or eating CBD edibles. Elders, younger people, folks with respiratory issues, and people who are looking to benefit from CBD in a discreet way can all utilize CBD transdermal patches
Topical CBD products, like CBD balms or roll-ons, are excellent for addressing localized pain, inflammation, and other issues, but they do not deliver the full-body benefits that transdermal patches do. This means that CBD transdermal patches are also good for people who need consistent relief from general pain, anxiety, and inflammation and do not want to have to take another dose in the middle of the day (or night).
According to researchers, CBD transdermal patches “suggest therapeutic properties on opiod, cocaine, and psychostimulant addiction,” as well as tobacco addiction. Transdermal CBD has also been studied and found to be potentially helpful for dealing with inflammation and arthritis. Administering CBD through a patch is easy, discreet, fast-acting, long-lasting, accurate in dosage, and affordable.
How to use Shea Brand’s CBD Transdermal Patches:
1. Prepare your upper arm or hip by washing and drying the skin completely.
2. Peel one fabric patch away from the film and apply. Do not use on damaged skin. Save the remaining patches for later use in the resealable bag.
3. Wear patch for 8 hours of consistent relief. Avoid showering or getting the patch wet, as that can cause it to stick and become difficult to remove.
4. After 8 hours, gently peel the patch off starting at one corner. This may hurt a little bit, similarly to how it feels when you remove a band-aid. Baby oil or exfoliant can help remove any remaining adhesive.
How to use Shea Brand’s CBD Sole Soother Patches:
1. Wash and dry your feet completely.
2. Peel round shaped patches from film and apply to your heels. Apply shaped patches to the ball of your feet, with the tail following your arches. (See diagram on product packaging for placement details.)
4. Immediately put on shoes and socks and wear for 8 hours.
5. After 8 hours, gently peel patches away from your skin. Baby oil or exfoliant can help remove any remaining adhesive.
This article was written by Faye Lessler, Editor for Shea Brand.